Do Farm Trucks Need Insurance?

Farm trucks are an important part of many agricultural businesses. They help transport equipment, livestock, and other materials necessary for running a farm.

Because farm trucks are used for business purposes, it is important to have the proper insurance coverage in case of an accident.

In this blog post, we will discuss whether or not farm trucks need insurance and what type of coverage is recommended.

Do Farm Trucks Need Insurance?

As with other vehicles on the roadway, if the vehicle that you use to farm or ranch is on an open road that it is required to carry insurance for autos. Since accidents do happen, it is important to ensure that your farm vehicle insurance is sufficient to ensure that you as well as your farm as well as the people who depend on you are secure.

There are a few key things to keep in mind when it comes to insuring your farm truck.

The basics of insurance for a farm truck are the same as they are for any other type of vehicle. You will need to have liability coverage in case you cause an accident, and you will need to have collision and comprehensive coverage in case your truck is damaged in an accident or by something else.

Your insurance needs will vary depending on the type of farming operation that you run. If you have a small family farm, your needs will be different than if you operate a large commercial farm.

You may be able to get a discount on your insurance if you take steps to improve the safety of your farm truck.

How do farm trucks classify trucks?

Farm trucks are classified as light, medium, or heavy duty trucks. The classification is based on the truck’s Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR). GVWR is the total weight of the truck and its payload.

Light duty farm trucks have a GVWR of less than 26,000 pounds. Medium duty farm trucks have a GVWR of 26,001 to 33,000 pounds. Heavy duty farm trucks have a GVWR of more than 33,000 pounds.

The vast majority of farm trucks are classified as light duty trucks. Light duty trucks are easier to maneuver and require less maintenance than heavier trucks. They also get better gas mileage. However, they can only haul a limited amount of weight.

What are the three types of trucks?

The three major classifications for road vehicles based on their weight are: light trucks, medium truck and heavy trucks.

The weight classification is important as it determines the amount of wear and tear on the roads, how much each vehicle contributes to air pollution and traffic congestion, and the fuel economy.

Light trucks include: SUVs, crossovers, minivans and light-duty vans. These vehicles typically have a curb weight of no more than 6000 pounds (2722 kilograms).

Medium trucks include: full-size vans, large SUVs, pickups and panel trucks. These vehicles typically have a curb weight between 6000 and 10000 pounds (2722 to 4536 kilograms).

Do you need a CDL to drive a truck with air brakes in PA?

The answer is yes! You need a CDL to drive any vehicle with air brakes in Pennsylvania. This includes trucks, buses, and some trailers. If you have a regular driver’s license, you can’t drive these vehicles with air brakes.

To get a CDL, you’ll need to pass a written exam and a skills test. The written exam covers the rules of the road and safe driving practices. The skills test is conducted by a certified examiner and tests your ability to safely operate the vehicle.

If you’re thinking about getting your CDL, be sure to check out our guide to Getting Your Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) in Pennsylvania.

What is classified as a truck?

The classes span from 1 to 8. Trucks are further classified according to the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) and classifies classes 1 – 2 as medium duty 3-4 as medium duty and 7 and 8 as high-impact.

In addition, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has its own system of emissions classifications that are applicable to trucks.

The truck classifications are not regulated by the government.

The truck classification system is important to know because it helps determine what types of vehicles can legally be on the road, and what kind of loads they can carry. It also affects insurance rates, as well as fuel economy and emissions.

Knowing which class your truck falls into can help you make informed decisions about how to use and operate your vehicle.

There are a few different systems in place that classify trucks according to their size and weight.

The most common system is the one used by the Federal Highway Administration, which has eight different classes. Class one trucks are the smallest and lightest, while class eight trucks are the largest and heaviest.

How big of a truck can I drive without a CDL in Pennsylvania?

You must have an CDL in the event that you own or plan to operate one among the commercial motor vehicles (CMVs) (a) A group of vehicles that have a gross combined weight ratings (GCWR) that is 26,001 pounds or more, provided that the vehicle that is being towed is greater than 10,000 pounds.

A CMV that is designed or utilized to transport 16 or more individuals, including the driver. (c) A vehicle that is carrying hazardous materials in an amount that requires placarding pursuant to subpart F of part 172 of title 49 CFR.

You may drive a truck without a CDL if it meets all of the following conditions: The vehicle has a GVWR of 26,000 pounds or less. The vehicle is not used for commercial purposes. The vehicle does not carry hazardous materials as defined by law.

What are the two types of trucks?

There are two types of trucks: light duty and heavy duty. Light duty trucks include pickups, vans, and sport utility vehicles. Heavy duty trucks include semi-trucks, dump trucks, and garbage trucks. Each type of truck has its own benefits and drawbacks.

Light duty trucks are typically smaller and more maneuverable than heavy duty trucks. They also get better gas mileage. However, they can’t haul as much weight as heavy duty trucks.

Heavy duty trucks can haul heavier loads than light duty trucks. They’re also less likely to tip over when fully loaded. However, they’re more difficult to drive and get lower gas mileage than light duty trucks.

Do you need a CDL to drive a farm truck in PA?

This law says that farmers don’t need an commercial driver’s license (CDL) in order to drive a farm-related vehicle or combination, that has the GVW of 26,000lbs or more. Recent action taken by State Police has left confusion regarding whether farmers require the Class A license or the more common License Class C.

The Pennsylvania Farm Bureau is lobbying for a bill that would make it explicitly clear that farmers are exempt from needing a CDL to drive farm vehicles. The proposed legislation has the support of State Senators Elder Vogel and Camera Bartolotta.

Currently, there is no specific exemption in the law for farmers driving farm-related vehicles. However, the law does exempt certain agricultural vehicles from the definition of a commercial vehicle.

Can you drive a farm tractor on the road in PA?

Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) and the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration recently clarified that farm tractors are exempt from all of the new motor carrier regulations.

The new regulations, which went into effect on July 29, 2013, do not apply to vehicles that are:

  • Used exclusively in agricultural operations; and
  • Not used in commerce or contract carrier operations.

Farm tractors are defined as self-propelled machines designed and used primarily for drawing plows, mowing machines, and other implements of husbandry. Farm tractor drivers are not required to have a commercial driver’s license (CDL).

However, they must have a valid driver’s license appropriate for the class of vehicle being operated.

Farm tractor operators are also exempt from the hours-of-service regulations. This means that they can operate their vehicles for an unlimited number of hours.

Farm tractors are an important part of Pennsylvania’s agriculture industry. With this recent clarification, farmers can be confident that they can continue to operate their vehicles in compliance with the law.

This is good news for everyone involved in agriculture in Pennsylvania!

Who can drive a farm use vehicle in PA?

While a 16- or 17-year-old can drive a car in Pennsylvania, a farm youth less than 18 will be prohibited from driving a tractor with a piece of farm equipment around the farm if it touches a roadway.

Unless common sense prevails soon, those restrictions and requirements will appear on Pennsylvania’s farms.

The new restrictions are a result of the Pennsylvania Legislature amending the state’s motor vehicle code last year to include farm use vehicles.

The law was intended to make sure that all drivers, no matter their age, have the proper training and skills before operating a vehicle on public roads.

But, as is often the case with well-intentioned legislation, the lawmakers failed to consider how their actions would impact those it was meant to help.

Now, unless an exemption is granted by PennDOT, any 16- or 17-year-old who wants to drive a tractor on a public road must first obtain a learner’s permit, just like they would for a car.

How far can you drive a farm tag in PA?

There are no distance limitations for registered farm vehicles. Please refer to Form MV-70S (PDF), The Bureau of Motor Vehicles Schedule of Fees, for the most current registration fees for farm trucks.

If you are a PA resident and own a farm, you may be eligible for a Farm Vehicle registration. A Farm Vehicle is any vehicle that is operated solely as part of farming or agricultural activities, including vehicles that transport:

  • farm products
  • farm machinery
  • livestock
  • supplies to or from a farm

To apply for a Farm Vehicle registration, you will need to complete and submit a Farm Truck Certification (PDF) form. The completed form and required fee must be submitted to the county treasurers office where the vehicle is garaged.

Farm vehicles may only be operated on highways within 150 miles of the farmer’s premises, as indicated by the physical address listed on the registration application. If you need to transport your farm vehicle more than 150 miles from your premises, you must obtain an Over-Dimensional Permit in addition to your registration.


Farm trucks are one of the most important pieces of equipment for farmers. Not only do they help with transporting crops and supplies, but they can also be used for tasks such as tilling fields and spraying pesticides.

Because farm trucks are so important to a farmer’s livelihood, it’s essential that these vehicles have the proper insurance coverage.

Without insurance, a tractor or truck accident could potentially bankrupt a small farmer.

At Farm Truck Insurance, we understand the importance of having adequate coverage for your agricultural vehicles.

We offer several different policies that will meet your needs, whether you’re just starting out or you’ve been farming for years. Contact us today to get started!

Kylie Mahar

Kylie Mahar is a financial guru who loves to help others save money. She writes for, and is always looking for new ways to help people make the most of their money. Kylie is passionate about helping others, and she firmly believes that financial security is one of the most important things in life.

Recent Posts